The purpose of this article is to introduce you to our new Storage product. I’ll walk you through the ordering process, how to connect to your new storage, managing users, and accessing your storage through the various available methods. This service has launched as an early access program, and participants will receive their first 5GB free during this period of time.
So, without further ado, let’s get started with purchasing!
How to Order
When creating an order, fill out all information in the required fields. These include:
- Enter in a Friendly Name (what you want to reference it by), Username and Password. Your password must be at least 8 characters in length, with 1 capital letter and 1 number.
- Choose your amount of storage.
- Choose how you would like to access your storage. At the time of this writing, we offer access via an FTP client or WebDAV (with an ownCloud web service).
Once you have entered in the information above, save and complete the order. Once ready, you’ll be able to manage its specifications through a web interface, displayed below.
Here, we see that below the options to manage the storage space there is a new section to manage any and all users you may have for this service. If you’d like to add or edit any of these, you may do so through the following elements:
The name for new users in the order.
- The password of each user, that can be changed at any time.
- The maximum amount of storage space that the user can manage, if you would like to limit them.
- The access methods that the user may use to access his storage space.
- All the options to manage each user information.
In addition to these interfaces, we have a couple of graphics to represent your storage’s statistics. The graphics, displayed below, contain the history of your space utilization, the total amount of data uploaded and downloaded, and the amount of data uploaded and downloaded for each type of access.
Additional Access Methods
While we chose FTP as our access method in the above example, we offer multiple access methods for your new storage service.
ownCloud is an open source web application that allows users to manage and edit files online. There are even apps that allow you to sync your files across multiple devices!
WebDAV is a webfs protocol that may be mounted locally, either through special tools inside the Windows operating system (netdrive, owncloud client), or natively through *nix releases.
FTP is one of the most commonly used file transfer methods. You can use it through graphical FTP clients, your command-line, and even your web browser.
In closing, if you are interested in trying out our new early access storage offering, simply follow the steps above for quick participation. We look forward to finalizing this product with your assistance and feedback!